Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Oil Reviews Part 2: Apricot Kernel, Plum Kernel, Ricebran, Maracuja or Passionfruit Seed/ Passion Flower Oil


This is part 2 of our Oggboo Oils for Hair Review.  All oils were tried on my toddler's fine, very tightly curled hair, that ranges from 3B-4A.

Apricot and Plum Kernel Oils

First of all, if you use these oils try to get the cold-pressed, unrefined version, not just because they have more nutrients (which is always the case) but because they smell  YUMMY!  The aroma is just like the fruit.
These oils tend to be a bit wetter, so I prefer them for oil rinsing and sealing on the first wash day.  They hold up pretty well, so are great for wash and go’s and protective styles alike.  

Unless you have extremely dry hair or go for more than 4 days between washes, I recommend lighter oils for touching up your ends in between washes.  If you must use these oils as a finishing or touch up oil, try blending a smaller amount, with a larger amount of a lighter oil like watermelon seed, jojoba or grapeseed.

By the way I do find it a bit wet for the skin - it does not absorb fast enough for my liking.  As for people with nut allergies - you should probably avoid it.  But I do like it in blends for the skin.  Just my preference.  Plenty of people use it straight on their skin with no problem.

Mountain Rose Herbs sells the unrefined aromatic versions of these oils.  Most other distributors of bulk ingredients sell the refined versions.

Ricebran

When I first tried this alone on the skin I was not enamored.  However, upon playing with it some, I discovered it to be quite nice in blends for skin and hair, and works really well, neat and straight, on hair.  It is a faster absorbing, somewhat dry oil, but you will find that it is not quite as dry as other oils like jojoba.  It works beautifully as an oil rinsing, finishing and sealing oil.

A compound called gamma-oryzanol also gives it some mild sunscreening  properties, which is lovely for those of us who avoid chemical sunscreens in hair and skin products.

 Ricebran oil is delightfully inexpensive and relatively odorless.  This makes it a great base for mixing in other more expensive oils when making blends for skin or hair.

New Directions has a great price on Ricebran oil – giving it to you for literally pennies per wash!

Maracuja Oil/ Passionfruit Seed or Passion Flower Oil

I know that is confusing, but the same oil is often referred to by all 3 of those names. (Shrug - I am just the messenger.)  I love, love, love this oil for curlies.  It really defines the hair, gives sheen and all day moisture without greasiness and does not build up in the hair when used daily for touch ups between washes (even with a heavy hand.)    It is rich in various fatty acids, minerals and nutrients, and supposedly encourages hair growth.

 I had actually bought it initially as a baby skin oil because it is also reknowned for its sedating properties.  I honestly found it a little sticky for the skin on its own, but works well in a blend with other carrier oils and lavender and or chamomile essential oils if you are seeking to make your own baby massage oil.  (Honestly – I can’t say I experienced it to be any more effective in relaxing a baby than any other carrier oil mixed with the above mentioned essential oils.  That is just my experience though.  It is touted as such everywhere else.)

I got mine initially from New Directions Aromatics, but they don’t seem to be carrying it lately.  Sad face.  I did see it recently, however, at From Nature With Love and from Dr Adorable on Amazon.  I am yet to purchase their offerings, so cannot vouch for them personally, but my initial sampling from New Directions was really on point.


Downside to this oil – it is quite the pricey little oil – even in bulk.  So if you are on a budget – I would reserve it for touch ups between washes and or sealing on wash day.  If you are blessed enough to be without a budget – go ahead and have at it for everything, especially if your boo has little, finer and or looser textured hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment